5 Simple Ways to Healthier Gums
5 SIMPLE WAYS TO HEALTHIER GUMS
What is gum disease?
Gum disease, aka gingivitis or periodontitis, is inflammation and infection of the tissue that wraps around the teeth.
What is the consequence of unhealthy gums?
- Bleeding gums
- Related systemic issues:
- Heart Disease
- Adverse pregnancy outcomes
What can you do?
- Brush twice a day (in morning and right before bed)
- Floss at least once a day.
- Maintain healthy nutrition.
Remedies to consider:
- Tea tree oil (melaluca) is a strong natural antiseptic. Products that contain tea tree oil can help lower the bacterial load in the mouth.
- CoQ10 Antioxidants protect your cells against the effects of free radicals, which can cause a wide range of chronic diseases. Some studies suggest that taking CoQ 10 supplements and eating foods rich in antioxidants can help to suppress gingival and periodontal inflammation.
- Vitamin C Vitamin C is critical for wound healing and is necessary for the growth of the collagen that makes up your gum tissue.
- Green tea 1-3 cups/day. A study published in the Journal of Periodontology explained a link between green tea and periodontal disease. Green tea contains an antioxidant called catechin, which reduces the inflammatory response to bacteria in the gums.
- MCT oil pulling. MCT is a medium chain Triglyceride derived from coconut oil. The oil binds to the bacterial cell wall and draws it out of the gums, thus detoxifying the mouth. The best recommendation is the swish 1 tsp of MCT oil pull for about 10 minutes every morning before brushing.